Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Start of Something Good . . . .

Who would have thought a short, little bald man, sporting only his underwear and a red curtain cape would radically change our lives for the better. What? No, I haven't hit my head. Nor have I visited the local psychiatric ward (although my kids would probably tell you that I need an extended stay there!). I am speaking, of course, of "Captain Underpants." The hottest thing since mac-n-cheese in this house.

I have been a confirmed bookworm since I recognized letters. I enjoyed reading so much that I often got in trouble for reading to the neglect of every other task. Homework time? Nah, I would dig into "Nancy Drew." Go to the movies? Well, if I must, but I preferred to read a great mystery. I was painfully shy and loved escaping into the worlds that one can only find in books. Reading always has been, and always will be, one of my greatest pleasures.

And then came children. I suppose it is the inherent arrogance of humankind that we expect our children to be exactly like us. Well, exactly like all the parts of us that we believe are outstanding. The reality is that you have given birth to a completely separate individual who won't act like you do, won't move like you move, won't like the same things you like, and probably will prefer things you cannot stand. While it was quite obvious to us that our son looked exactly like me as a child, it was also quite obvious that he was not shy. AT ALL. So his aversion to reading should not have been a surprise. But it was. Quite a shock, actually.

Starting with kindergarten, nightly reading assignments became a nightmare. A whining, crying, fit-throwing, yelling, nightmare. Since he prefers all things science and nature, I tried Magic Treehouse books. Flat Stanley. Geronimo Stilton. Everything. He was not interested in anything and would merely read because he was forced to read. No more, and no less than what was required. Last week, as a treat, I bought my now eight-year old his first "Captain Underpants" book. The change has been dramatic! He wants to go to bed early so he can read. When we tell him it is time to stop reading and go to bed, he cries that he just wants to read more. And if we have a particularly busy night and attempt to skip reading, he complains such that we make time. It is incredible! And finally, last night, he exclaimed, "Mommy, I just want to go read and go to sleep!" It almost brought tears to my eyes! Finally, maybe my kids can find joy in reading instead of complaining of being bored or wanting to play a video game. I hope there are many, MANY "Captain Underpants" books. Or else we're sunk.

So, here's to you, balding man in tighty-whities. You are my hero!

1 comment:

  1. "I suppose it is the inherent arrogance of humankind that we expect our children to be exactly like us."

    No truer words have been spoken!

    Unless it's Calvin and Hobbes or the Bones book series, we can't get Jake to read, either. He has absolutely no patience for reading. But give him a comic book or graphic novel, and all is well. The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series is also good. :-D

    ReplyDelete